VOLUNTEER FOR OUR FOOD PANTRIES
The YMCA has partnered with the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, East End Co-Op, 412 Food Rescue and other community partners across greater Pittsburgh to provide critical food and supplies to thousands of families each week at numerous distribution sites throughout the city.
If you are an individual or organization that would like to collaborate with the Y to support these efforts, please contact Bruce Berringer | email@example.com | 412-508-9181
If you or someone you know is in need of food, click here.
VIEW LOCATIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Special events include but are not limited to:
- Healthy Kids Week: For those with a passion for healthy living, this volunteer opportunity allows individuals to connect with the community and build relationships with a wide variety of people from all walks of life. As a volunteer during Healthy Kids Week, you are helping to instill positive healthy behaviors in young people with the hopes those behaviors will carry over into adulthood.
- Turkey Trot: Whether you are chasing a personal best in the Double Gobble, aiming to complete your first 5k or spending a morning enjoying a one-mile run or walk with your family, the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh Turkey Trot is an opportunity to celebrate your commitment to healthy living. As a volunteer, you will assist with registration, direct participants, and be part of celebrating a great physical accomplishment for many - all around fighting food insecurity in Pittsburgh.
- Veterans Pancake Breakfasts: As a volunteer, you will help serve veterans and military service members in their community by cooking pancakes, preparing events, and interacting with the members who attend.
- Camp Clean-Up Weekends: Roll up your selves, bring the family, and help get camp ready for summer and winter. Each year, every YMCA camp is in need of volunteers to help with projects that will prepare the camps for summer and winter sessions.
- Welcoming Week: The face of our community is constantly changing and Welcoming Week is an annual initiative dedicated to helping all newcomers in our communities feel welcomed. As a volunteer, you will support YMCA staff in hosting a successful event for newcomers by helping to build relationships and assist in making programs and events run smoothly.
- Holiday Events: Join various YMCA locations across the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh to celebrate the holidays with members. Different locations have activities ranging from Christmas tree sales to potluck dinners where volunteers can help support.
There are many benefits of volunteering including learning new skills, sharing your knowledge and expertise, meeting new people, finding a place to belong and making new friends all while helping your community improve its overall health. All volunteers receive training to ensure safe and efficient operations in our child care, camp, youth, special events and health and fitness programs.
BECOMING A YMCA VOLUNTEER
Becoming a volunteer at the YMCA is a simple three-step process:
- Gather and Submit Clearances/Disclosures
- Complete Trainings (where applicable)
All three steps must be completed before any volunteer activities can be undertaken.
The YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh relies on three types of volunteers:
- Program volunteers: individuals involved in coaching, teaching, and program delivery.
- Policy volunteers: members of branch and camp advisory boards.
- Event volunteers: individuals assisting at a stand-alone, one-time event or activity i.e., at the Y’s food distribution programs, or at events such as a race, day of caring, special event, or fundraiser.
All volunteers must first complete a Volunteer Application. Applicants will be contacted by a member of the Mission Advancement team and directed to start gathering the appropriate clearances as detailed in the table below.
Please complete the following forms to become a volunteer today.