Are you looking for exceptional swim lessons in Pittsburgh? Look no further than the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh. Our dedicated team of certified instructors is committed to providing top-notch aquatic training for individuals of all ages and skill levels.
SWIM LESSONS FOR EVERY LEVEL AND SKILL
- In YMCA swim lessons, students will learn water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase cognitive well-being and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
- All lessons are conducted under the supervision of certified lifeguards and taught by nationally certified swim instructors trained in CPR, AED, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration.
- Our swim curriculum is based on extensive research, providing personalized attention and letting students set the pace.
INFANTS AND TODDLERS SWIM LESSONS
Accompanied by an adult, infants and toddlers ages 6-36 months learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision. Parents work with their children to explore body positions, floating, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills.
PRESCHOOL AND SCHOOL-AGE SWIM LESSONS
Beginners ages 3-5 and grades K-12 will develop comfort with underwater exploration and learn personal water safety with two essential skills in all classes:
- Swim, float, swim — sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit
- Jump, push, turn, grab — After students are comfortable submerging in the water, they will begin to learn rudimentary swimming skills, followed by work on rhythmic breathing, integrated arm and leg action, and introduction to the basics of breaststroke and butterfly kick.
ADVANCED SWIM LESSONS
Once students ages 5-12 are able to successfully swim a length of the pool unassisted in any of the strokes, they are eligible to register for the advanced class. Students work on refining stroke techniques and learning all major competitive strokes. The emphasis on water safety continues through treading water and sidestroke. Students will learn about competitive swimming and discover how to incorporate swimming into a healthy lifestyle.
TEEN AND ADULT SWIM LESSONS
Our swim lesson program follows the YMCA of the USA’s national safety and core skill development standards, and are based on the abilities of each participant. Our teen and adult swim lessons include different levels of classes, beginning with water safety and swimming competency, to building and refining swimming strokes techniques. So whether you started learning to swim as a child, but never quite mastered it, or are looking to improve your current skills, we’re here to help you learn to swim in a supportive environment.