2020 Summer Steppin' August 3rd-September 13th
WHY 10,000 STEPS?
Well...did you know the average sedentary person may only average 1,000-3,000 steps a day? The American Heart Association uses the 10,000 steps metric as a guideline to follow for improving health and decreasing risk of heart disease, the number one killer of men and women in America. 10,000 steps is a rough equivalent to the Surgeon General's recommendation to accumulate 30 minutes of activity most days of the week.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Maintain a healthy weight and lower BMI
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure & Type 2 diabetes
- Strengthens your bones & muscles
- Improve your mood & increase energy
- Improve balance and coordination
HOW TO INCREASE YOU DAILY STEPS
- Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend
- Walk the dog
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park further away when going to the grocery store
- Plan a walking meeting