Following with our values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility as a guide, the Y’s Code of Conduct ensures that all who enter our facility enjoy a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment.
We ask individuals to act in a manner that upholds these values at all times when they are in our facility or participating in Y programs. The safety and protection of Y members and guests is a paramount concern of the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh; therefore, we reserve the right to deny access or membership to any person registered for sex offenses against children.
The Y is a family-oriented organization; please refrain from:
- Using offensive language, wearing revealing clothing and exposing inappropriate tattoos. Please wear your swimsuit only in the pool area and locker rooms. Shoes, shorts or pants and shirts are required in other areas of the facility. “Heelys” or shoes with wheels are not allowed.
- Making physical contact with another person in any angry or threatening way.
- Engaging in sexual activity or inappropriate contact with another person.
- Harassing or intimidating by words, gestures, body language or any other menacing behavior.
- Stealing or other behavior that results in the loss or destruction of property.
- Carrying or concealing any weapon, device or object which may be used as a weapon.
- Abusing or defacing the YMCA building or its equipment.
- Using or possessing illegal drugs or alcohol on YMCA property or in YMCA vehicles.
- Smoking. All YMCA facilities and grounds are smoke-free environments - this includes electronic cigarettes.
- Displaying threatening, inappropriate or offensive conduct.
- Posting unapproved materials. Ask the Member Services Director for permission to post flyers in the YMCA facility or on the surrounding property.
- The use of cameras and cell phones is not allowed in the locker room or bathroom areas.
- Conducting or participating in paid personal training or other instructional sessions with an instructor not employed by the Y.
Members and guests are encouraged to be responsible for their personal comfort and safety. If any person exhibits behavior which threatens another person’s comfort or safety, the behavior should be reported to staff. Please do not hesitate to notify staff if assistance is needed. In order to be able to carry out these policies, we ask that members and guests identify themselves to staff when asked. The Y investigates all reported incidents. Suspension or termination of YMCA membership privileges may result if a violation of this Code of Conduct has occurred.
MEMBER SCREENING POLICY
The YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.